Crew member Heather shared her favourite recipe for a savoury, summery panzanella. She adds massaged kale leaves to her version!
Bread Salad (Panzanella)
- 6 to 8 lbs heirloom tomatoes cut into chunks
- 1 red onion cut into slivered wedges
- 1 handful fresh basil coarsely chopped
- 12 pitted olives (optional)
- 1 cup cucumber or pepper cut into chunks (optional)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 large baguette cut into large chunks
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rosemary or thyme
Cut baguette and toss in oil, salt, pepper, thyme or rosemary, and toast in oven to make giant croutons.
Toss salad ingredients together.
Add all dressing ingredients to a food processor and blend thoroughly.
Just before serving, mix together the dressing and salad and toss with croutons.