This recipe was shared by CSA member Tracey. Use any cooking greens, or try a combination for a scrumptious medley! While the cooking time is a few hours, you could throw this soup together faster using cooked chicken; freezing leftovers also makes for a quick meal later!
Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 14.5 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard or kale or spinach
- 2 large carrots finely chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium lemon halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; cook and stir until browned. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
Stir broth, vegetables, lemon slices, lemon juice, zest and pepper into chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Stir in rice; heat through.