Just all the veggies. Just throw them all in there. The key is knowing when to add what so it gets cooked juuuuust the right amount. And getting a good braise on everything.
This recipe was a Jane request, following this recipe almost step by step but not quite. (That, as you may have gathered, is how we roll) We used chicken thighs but the braising and the simmering would make for an excellent tofu-based meal. You could also just stack the veggies in there and keep it entirely just fresh veggies.
Thai Curry Vegetable Medley with Noodles
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs OR
- 1 block tofu
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 3-4 tbsp red curry paste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 onion diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated (optional)
- 1 zucchini or summer squash sliced (optional)
- 1 delicata squashed peeled, scooped and thinly sliced (optional)
- a few eggplants, peppers, green beans, and/or tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 1 large broccoli head or equivalent chopped into bite sized chunks
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- an amount rice noodles cooked separately according to directions/preferences
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 5-8 leaves basil, cilantro, and/or mint finely chopped (optional)
toss the chicken or tofu in 1 tbsp turmeric and 1 tbsp red chili paste
heat 4 tbsp oil in a deep pan or pot over medium high heat
braise the chicken thighs on all sides, 2-3 mins, then remove from pan and set aside
toss the squash and onion in first if you're doing that, and sautee for a bit until soft. then add broccoli, then peppers and/or eggplant, then zucchini, then tomatoes. you get the drill. whichever you want least cooked gets tossed in at the last minute.
toss in two to three tbsp of the red curry paste and stir about to cover everything.
add the can of coconut milk, about a half cup of water, ginger, fish sauce, and honey and mix it all up. put the chicken back in, cover it, and let it simmer another 10-15 or until the chicken is cooked through and everything looks like it's good friends.
cook the noodles, meanwhile.
serve over noodles with lime and zest and herbs of your choice!