This is an easy weeknight meal that is versatile – substitute beans with leftover turkey or chicken, use whatever leafy cooking green you have on hand (swiss chard, beet greens, spinach), add cubed butternut squash or sweet potato (coming soon!!). The recipe is adapted from NYT Cooking. We were able to whip this together in about 25 minutes from chopping to sitting down and enjoying.
Hearty Quinoa and White Bean Soup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped (or the white and light green parts of green onions, chopped)
- 2-4 carrots finely chopped
- 1 can cannellini or other white beans, drained (substitute with leftover turkey/chicken)
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup quinoa
- 1 bag baby kale spinach, or the leaves of one bunch swiss chard or kale
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage oregano, rosemary or thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and sauté until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and vegetable stock, followed by the quinoa, bay leaf, and herbs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add in the beans and greens and allow to simmer for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf and serve.