This tomato soup features leeks and a generous amount of fresh dill, and becomes creamy and filling with the addition of sour cream. Adapted from Epicurious.com.
Tomato, Dill, Cheddar & Sour Cream Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups leeks white and pale green parts only, chopped; or onion
- 2 lbs tomatoes chopped and cooked
- 4 ½ cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh dill chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup light sour cream or yogurt
- 4 ounces chilled sharp white cheddar cheese sliced
- Fresh dill sprigs
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add cooked tomatoes, broth, chopped dill and cayenne and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until flavors blend, about 20 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup in processor until smooth. Return to same pot. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.) Bring to simmer over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
Gradually whisk in sour cream (do not boil). Garnish with dill sprigs and cheese.