We are now deep into green bean season, so it’s time to explore all the wonderful ways to enjoy them! This green bean salad comes together in a flash and is just so simple and delicious. All the right flavours in all the rights combinations. The recipe uses basil, and since we have such an abundance of basil, I decided to make another basil-centred dish – peach and basil salsa! Peaches and basil pair really well together, and in this salsa they really shine. Enjoy it on chicken sandwiches, with fish, or with your next heaping plate of nachos!
More Magnificent Meal Musings:
- Pickled Beets
- Beet Panzanella Salad
- Quick Pickled Veggie Slaw (I made it AGAIN this week – so good!)
- Grilled Eggplant and Summer Squash with Basil Vinaigrette
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes with Thyme
Green Bean Salad with Toasted Almonds and Feta
This recipe comes directly from Cookie and Kate, with absolutely no adjustments. The roasted almonds and green beans are a classic and delicious combination, and the fresh hit of basil and salty feta really brings the dish together.
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds or whole almonds roughly chopped
- 1 bag green beans trimmed and cut into 2 to 3” long pieces
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small-to-medium clove garlic
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese divided
- 3 to 4 large basil leaves torn or chopped, for garnish
- Lemon zest from about ½ lemon for garnish
Start with a large skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring frequently (careful, they burn quickly). After 3 minutes, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue stirring until they are fragrant and turning golden on the edges, about 1 to 3 more minutes. Transfer the almonds to a bowl to cool.
Make sure the heat is set to medium-low and place the skillet back on the heat. Immediately add the green beans, water and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are nearly tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the lid, raise heat to medium-high, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Once the green beans are done cooking, whisk the olive oil mixture once more, then pour it into the skillet. Pour the almonds back into the skillet, and add about half of the feta, reserving the other half for garnish. Toss to combine, then taste and add more lemon juice or black pepper if necessary.
Transfer the green beans to a serving bowl or platter. Sprinkle the remaining feta and the torn basil leaves on top. Lightly grate some lemon zest on top, and serve promptly.
Peach and Thai Basil Salsa
Peach and basil is a wonderful combination. This salsa is spicy, sweet, aromatic, salty, and acidic. It was the perfect condiment on a shredded chicken sandwich, but would also go well with nachos or with fish.
- 2 peaches, washed and diced
- 8-10 cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 inch jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 thai (or Genovese) basil leaves, cut into strips
- 3 tsp fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.