I’m pretty sure this recipe is intended to be made with fall turnips (aka rutabaga). Next door, Tracey made it with our farm spring turnips and I got to go over and taste it and take a photo. I thought it was a lovely dish!
Moosewood Turnips with Greens
- 4 cups peeled turnip matchsticks 2 x ¼ “
- 2 cups onions quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano minced; or 1½ to 2 tsp dried
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 8 cups greens (Swiss chard, kale, turnip tops, beet tops, spinach, or mustard greens) rinsed, stemmed and sliced
Preheat the oven to 350º and oil a baking sheet.
Place the turnips and onions in a bowl and toss them with 4 Tbsp of the olive oil and oregano. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the ends of the turnip matchsticks are golden brown and crisp. Remove them from the oven and set aside.
In a nonreactive pan, cook the garlic in the remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil just until soft. Add the crushed red pepper, if using, and the greens. Cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes until the greens are tender. Remove from the heat. Serve the greens in a large serving bowl or on a plate, topped with the toasted turnips and onions.