This recipe from CBC’s Best Recipes Ever is great for the late summer or early fall. Although it may not be simple, the end result is a hearty, flavourful dish well worth the effort!
Eggplant and Potato Ragout with Feta Topping
- 1-1/2 lb eggplant cut into 3/4-inch (680 g)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes unpeeled and cut into 3/4-inch (2 lb/1 kg)
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms (340 g)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper chopped
- 2 cans each 19 oz/540 mL stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2-1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1-3/4 cups feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup oil-cured black olives chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
In colander, sprinkle eggplant with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the salt; set aside.
Meanwhile, in large deep Dutch oven, heat 3 tbsp (50 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; brown potatoes. Remove potatoes to plate.
Rinse eggplant; pat dry. Add half of the remaining oil to pan; brown eggplant, in 2 batches and adding remaining oil as necessary. Add to potatoes.
In same skillet over medium-high heat, saute mushrooms, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, pepper and remaining salt until no liquid remains, about 8 minutes. Add red and green peppers; saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add eggplant mixture, tomatoes, stock and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours; reheat to proceed.) Pour into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
Meanwhile, in bowl, combine bread crumbs, feta cheese, olives, parsley and oregano. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Spread over eggplant mixture. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until bubbly and golden, about 25 minutes, and serve.