CSA member Kathleen says about this recipe, “Cucumbers, cucumbers, oh my! Wondering what to do with a bounty of cukes? Try this easy chilled soup. Just scrape out the seeds if they’re large. We shortcut the garnish by mixing chopped tomatoes, green onions with a splash of lime juice & chopped fennel tops!”
Photo credit for this post: Garlic and Zest
Chilled Cucumber Soup
For cucumber soup
- 2 hot house cucumbers peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro stems and leaves
- 1/2 lb silken tofu
- 6 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For Pico de gallo
- 1 large ripe tomato seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup white onion finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Additional English cucumber very thinly sliced
In a blender, combine all ingredients for the soup. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate at least two hours to chill before serving. Season to taste.
In a small bowl combine tomato, onion, jalapeño, lime juice and olive oil. Toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt accordingly. Chill two hours before serving for flavors to develop.
To serve, ladle cold soup into chilled bowls. Float one or two slices of cucumber on the soup and carefully spoon pico de gallo over the soup and sliced cucumber.
Be careful so that the garnish doesn't plop to the bottom, but rests gently on top. Enjoy!