Here’s a hearty, flavourful fall dish that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser. A big batch would be perfect for a potluck, or saved for leftovers.
Winter Squash or Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
- 1 pound penne pasta or other chunky pasta
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sage cut into very thin strips
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup pumpkin or winter squash cooked, pureed
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta, drain, and set aside.
In large deep frypan coated with cooking spray, brown sausage over medium-high heat. When cooked, remove meat and set aside. Drain fat from frypan and return to stove.
Add onion and garlic to frypan and sauté until soft, 3-5 minutes.
Add bay leaf, sage, and white wine/stock and cook until half of liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
Mix in broth and pumpkin/squash. Continue stirring until sauce starts to bubble. Add sausage and reduce heat.
Stir in milk. Add seasonings (cinnamon and nutmeg) and simmer 5-10 minutes to thicken.
Remove bay leaf. Pour sauce over cooked pasta. Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Garnish with freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese and fresh sage leaves (optional).