This is a twenty minute wonder, which involves my favourite method of cooking – throw everything in a pot together and then eat it! It does involve both oven and stove top, so it’s good for the little bit of cooler weather we’re getting this week.
We’ve done some combination of kalamata and greens and pasta before, but this one is the best. I think the kale’s earthiness really stands up to the sweet tang of the kalamata olives. And with the brightness of the cherry tomatoes in there, it’s a really nice balance of flavours. Plus, the beet greens make the whole thing kinda pink! Top with shaved parmesan if you’re feelin’ fance.
Kale Kalamata Pink Pasta
say that three times fast!
- 1 bunch kale destemmed and rough chopped (or just torn asunder with one's bare hands, as I prefer)
- 1 handful beet tops just the very tops, rough chopped
- just a few baby beets diced up, cuz why not
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes left whole
- 1/2 pint whole pitted kalamata olives
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or more, to taste
- pepper to taste
- an amount pasta preferably a thicker pasta, like fettucini or penne or fusilli
- some amount parmesan to top
- one stem basil deleafed, for topping!
preheat oven to 375
throw kale, kalamatas, tomatoes, beet greens and diced baby beets, olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper into an oven safe pot or glass tray, toss the whole thing in the oven – i put a lid on mine but i wouldn't, in future.
bring water to boil and throw pasta in there
bake the veg for about 20 mins, and cook the pasta until done to your tastes
strain the pasta and toss in with the veg and stir
serve with parm and basil to top, maybe a bit of added salt and pepper!