CSA member Suzette shared this recipe for using rhubarb in a refreshing summer salsa.
Tangy Rhubarb Salsa Recipe
- 2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 small red onion coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and coarsely chopped - or to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes (plum tomatoes), finely diced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 pinch garlic powder or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Stir rhubarb into a large pot of boiling water and cook for 10 seconds. Quickly drain rhubarb and rinse with cold water until cool; transfer rhubarb to a large bowl.
Place red onion, green, red, and yellow bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro into a food processor and pulse 3 or 4 times to finely chop; transfer pepper mixture to bowl with rhubarb. Stir in roma tomatoes.
Dissolve brown sugar in Key lime juice in a bowl; lightly stir lime juice mixture into rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle salsa with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper and stir salsa again. Refrigerate at least 3 hours to blend flavors.