Spring Essence Soup with Pistou
This recipe comes from Taste of Home.
- 1 medium leek white portion only, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 10 baby red potatoes quartered
- 6 fresh asparagus spears cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a large saucepan, saute the leek, carrot and red pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the asparagus, rhubarb, sugar, salt and pepper; cover and simmer 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, place the oregano, hazelnuts, oil, garlic and salt in a food processor; cover and pulse until blended. Serve with soup.