CSA member Theresa shared this delightful recipe with us, shared from The Food Network. She added goat cheese on top. Looks hearty and comforting!
Roasted Beet, Butternut Squash, and Apple Salad
- 1 pound red beets tops removed, peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 pound crisp red apples halved, cored, and 1/2-inch sliced
- 1 large shallot halved and sliced (can use onion!)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons good Dijon mustard
- 3 ounces baby arugula 6 cups
- 1/4 cup roasted salted Marcona almonds
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange two oven racks evenly spaced.
Place the beets on a sheet pan, toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and spread out in one layer. On a second sheet pan, toss the butternut squash and apples with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and spread out in one layer. Roast both pans of vegetables for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing occasionally, until everything is tender and lightly browned.
Meanwhile, for the vinaigrette, heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a small saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Over low heat, whisk in the balsamic vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, honey, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Keep warm.
Place the roasted vegetables and fruit in a large bowl. Add the arugula and vinaigrette and toss well. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve warm.