Here’s a recipe for my favourite beet soup! I changed a few minor things, but it is very closely based on this recipe.
Carrot Beet Ginger Soup
- 3 medium beets peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
- 1 lb carrot peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 6 cups water or 6 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon orange peel grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons sour cream or yogurt optional
Fry onions in butter or oil on medium/low heat for a few minutes.
Add chopped beets and carrots and fry for another 10 min.
Add ginger, garlic, and orange peel and continue to fry for a few more minutes.
Add stock or water and simmer for about 50 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Add salt and pepper.
Serve with sour cream or yogurt.