We cannot believe this season is already over! Time flies when you’re eating well! This recipe is what Charles refers to as a “saucy melange” kind of meal, and they love a saucy melange. There are a few key features that make this a fun party snack and that is 1. messiness, 2. infinite customizability, and 3. every texture! You can make the dressing of the nachos a part of the party, so that everyone can make their own corner of the tray, or pair up the way you might at a pizza night based on who wants what toppings. One of the prize elements were the pickled watermelon radishes on top after they were baked, adding a tang and crunch to the whole scene. Instead of store bought sun dried tomatoes, you can use slow-roasted tomatoes you may have prepped from Root Radical tomatoes earlier in the season. We’ve done it on JUST sweet potato wedges, and also a combination of sweet potato wedges and tortilla chips, and all are great. Honestly, this is more of a concept than a recipe, but maybe you haven’t thought of this, so we thought we’d share!
Farm Celebration Nachos
- 5-6 sweet potatoes scrubbed and cut into wedges, dressed with about 2 tbsp oil, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, and a bit of cayenne if you're into it, then baked at 350 until brightened, soft, and maybe a bit crispy at the thin edges (about 45 mins)
- 2 cups or so tortilla chips
Toppings Before Baking
- 1-2 red and green peppers diced up small
- 5-8 green onions chopped
- 1-2 onions diced and fried
- 5-8 mushrooms sliced and fried, maybe with their onion friends
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 lb ground beef fried up and seasoned however you'd like but may we recommend a bit of soya sauce/tamari, some cayenne and/or paprika, and salt and pepper?
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes (or Slow-Roasted Tomatoes – linked above – from the freezer if you did a bit of that earlier in the season!) chopped
- 1/4 cup black or green olives chopped
Toppings After Baking
- 1 handful Quick Pickled Watermelon Radish *follow recipe linked above*
- 1/2 cup yoghurt thinned with a bit of lemon juice and water, seasoned with salt
- tahini drizzled, to taste (thinned if necessary)
bake the sweet potatoes, fry up the onions and mushrooms and ground beef (all together if you don't need to divide for tastes)
if you need to quick pickle your radishes, do that now too – they're better the longer they've been pickled, but even an hour will be enough!
chop, dice, etc. all the veggie toppings, grate cheese. lay them all out on chopping boards or bowls or whathaveyou
lay out some baking trays, with some parchment paper if you want to make clean up easy
lay out some tortilla chips amongst the baked sweet potato wedges, and top the trays however you like!
bake at 350 until cheese is well melted, broil cautiously right at the end if you want a bit of boil and bubble
top with avocados and/or pickled radishes, and drizzle with tahini and yoghurt or keep those to the side for dunking along with the salsa
eat! **you will need napkins!**