This recipe was shared by CSA member Kathy! This is what she said: “Although I’m a big licorice fan, I never knew what to do with the fennel we received (except to swap it!). I was brave this week and kept our fennel bulb and found this delicious recipe: Sicilian Fennel Salad. I had a little mint from last week and used the large green onion instead of a shallot. The recipe is vegan and very yummy!”
The recipe can be found at the food blog “almost properly“. Thanks for sharing, Kathy – sounds great!
Sicilian Fennel Salad
- 1 bulb fennel thinly sliced
- a few green fronds from fennel bulb
- 1/2 large shallot or 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 2-3 medjool dates pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 tbsp. pistachios
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. mint leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. basil leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice divided
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- additional basil and/or mint leaves for garnish
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Whisk with a fork to combine.
Toss fennel, shallot, fennel fronds, chopped mint, and chopped basil with the vinaigrette and transfer to serving platter. Top salad with capers, sliced dates, pistachios, pine nuts, lemon zest, and freshly cracked pepper.
Season with additional salt as desired. Garnish with basil and/or mint leaves.
For best results, assemble salad within 10-15 minutes of serving.