I was at a friend’s house for dinner and they served something very similar to this recipe. It was super yummy and I thought it would the perfect recipe to share with the CSA community. Since it’s blended, I think you could make it with sugar snap peas (pods included) if you just removed the ends and ‘strings.'”
Photo credit for this post: Epicurious
Minty Pea Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth divided
- 6 cups shelled fresh peas from about 6 pounds pods or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- Kosher salt freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or water
- Chopped fresh chives for serving
Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 6-8 minutes. Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Add peas, reduce heat, and simmer gently until tender, about 5 minutes for fresh peas, about 2 minutes for frozen.
Remove pot from heat. Add parsley, mint, and remaining 2 cups broth to pot. Purée soup in a blender or with an immersion blender, thinning with water if soup is too thick, until smooth. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Whisk crème fraîche and cream in a small bowl to blend. Serve warm soup topped with chives, passing crème fraîche mixture alongside for spooning over.
For a lighter version, simply add heavy cream while blending soup instead of crème fraîche or sour cream.