Recommended by CSA member Aara in 2014, this recipe is perfect for using up those summer mustard greens. Originally from 660 Curies.
Coconut Shrimp with Mustard Greens
- 2 tbsp mustard oil or canola oil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/4 tsp black or yellow mustard seeds
- 4 dried red chiles stems removed
- 8 ounces fresh mustard greens rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 large tomato cored and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala of your choice
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh coconut or 1/4 cup shredded dried reconstituted
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in seeds and cook until aromatic, 10 - 15 seconds.
Add chiles and cook until blackened, 5 - 10 seconds.
Add mustard greens and garlic paste. Stir-fry until moisture evaporates and mixture starts to brown, 8 - 10 minutes.
Add tomato, salt, sugar, turmeric, and garam masala. Cook until tomato softens, 2 - 3 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, and simmer until shrimp are cooked, 5 minutes.
Stir in coconut and serve.