This recipe, adapted from Healthy Food Guide, is bursting with warming spices and seasonal veggies (and fruits!)
Tasty Chicken and Squash Stew
- Olive oil for the pan
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 chicken cut into peices and seared
- 2 apples cut into cubes
- 3-4 cups peeled and cubed squash or pumpkin
- 2-3 cups salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and cook onions and garlic until onion is soft but not browned. Add the spices, stir to combine and cook for another couple of minutes.
Meanwhile, sear the chicken pieces in olive oil in a separate pan.
Add to onions and garlic, the chicken, apple, pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for 10 minutes more or until sauce has reduced and thickened.
Squeeze in lemon or lime juice. Serve with couscous or rice.
This stew could be adapted for the crockpot or slow cooker; reduce the liquid by half and cook on low for 6-8 hours.