If you get tired of pumpkin pie, or just have an abundance of sweet potatoes, consider trying out this recipe for sweet potato pie from former Root Radical intern Sara.
Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie
- 2 large sweet potatoes or 3 medium
- 2 T melted butter
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ C cream or yogurt
- 1/4 C plus 2 T maple syrup
- 1/4 C plus 1 T brown sugar
- ¼ C bourbon
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t each of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 9-inch basic pie crust baked blind (see notes)
Preheat oven to 425F
Pierce sweet potatoes and roast for approximately 1 hour. When soft, remove skins and puree (should make about 2 cups).
Turn the oven down to 350 F
Combine puree with remaining ingredients for filling. Whisk until combined and smooth. Pour filling into partially baked pie shell. Bake for 45-50 min until filling is barely set. When the rim of the pie plate is nudged the very center of the filling should barely move.
See instructions for how to "blind bake" (partially pre-bake) your pie shell.